Breast Feeding your BabyDr. Nakhare
We are aware that breast feeding is extremely beneficial for the baby as well as for the mother, it also builds the relationship between the baby and the mother grows stronger. At the same time being a new mom can also be baffling as one is not aware of numerous things and faces many challenges. So let’s answer the commonly associated question with breast feeding:
- Why do some moms produce more breast milk than others?
The mammary tissue defines the quantity of milk produced and so different mothers have different storage capacity. But there is no reason to worry as the mother is capable of producing the amount of milk, the baby requires. However, if you feel you are unable to produce sufficient depending on your babies’ requirement then you should consult your gynaecologist.
- Am I producing sufficient milk for my baby?
If you worry about it then you should make a note of the following signs to get an answer to your question and if these signs are positive it means you can meet your babies need.
- If your breast is full before a feed and feels drained after a feed.
- Your baby needs feed after every 2 or 3 hours.
- If your baby is gaining steady weight per week.
3. How to enhance breast milk production?
- Feeding baby frequently can help you produce more milk
- Consume a balanced diet
- Drink more fluids
- Take adequate rest and quality sleep
- How to avoid and soothe engorged Breasts?
Breast engorged happens when the mother produces more milk than the babies’ requirement or due to blocked ducts. In such cases, it is advisable to use hand express technique or use of breast pumps to release excess milk. It is also advisable to use a hot water bag to open the blocked ducts.
- How to cure sore nipples?
Sore or cracked nipples can be extremely painful to avoid it the mother must make sure she is properly feeding the baby and the position is correct. Allow nipples to air dry after a feed; avoid tight-fitting bras or clothes. Wear soft cotton fabrics which would not irritate the skin.
- How long should I breastfeed?
One must breast feed for a minimum of 6 months to 1 year in combination with solids after 6 months. You can continue to breast feed for 2 or more years.
- Can I feed my baby is tested corona positive?
In such conditions, the mother is advised not to breast feed the baby as there are high chances of transmission from mother to baby and it has a high level of risk involved.
Above are the few questions out of the many which are commonly asked by the new moms as it’s a completely new process for them and sometimes it can get a bit confusing too.